Friday, 13 May 2016

Nostalgia


I logged onto Pinterest the other day and saw a picture of Betty Spaghetti (who remembers this fine chick?) which somehow lead me to re-watching pretty much a whole series of  Lola and Virginia which then lead me to signing a petition to bring everythinggirl.com back. Where does time go? My favourite TV channel from about 2007 onwards was Pop Girl. I'm not going to lie, I was almost in tears when it got cancelled last October. Is it this normal to have such a bad relationship with change and things getting removed? Many an evening was spent in the living room playing polly pockets while watching this channel. I swear Mary Kate and Ashley are part of the reason I am who I am today.
 My favourite show was always (and still kind of is, haha) 6Teen. I remember whenever my friends came round for tea I'd drag them up to my bedroom, which was painted a scary shade of pink with an orange bunk bed, to watch episodes of this show my dad had recorded onto a vhs on my box tv. This would be followed by playing either barbiegirls.com, myscene.com or polly pocket world on the family computer. How some people have moved on from these times I have no idea. 

When I was between the ages of 6-10 I'd say I spent as much time playing 'out' with my friends as I did playing inside with my friends. We played a lot of BD (bulldogs to those who didn't spend a lot of time with year 6 boys), we played on our bikes and scooters, we befriended anyone who had a trampoline in their garden, we played 'families' and in summer it'd be a case of hopping from one garden with a paddling pool to the other. A big trip out to us would be to the corner shop which was down the hill and across two roads simply for a chuppa chups lolly.

At this time the DS and Wii was seen as cool (some of us still haven't moved on) and my white DS Lite with a pink starry skin was my prize possession. Super Mario Bros was, and still is, the greatest game ever. I'd had the game about a week and was already nearly finished when the worst thing happened- the touch screen broke! Do you have any idea how hard it is to play Super Mario with no touch screen? But this is what I did for years and years and now that DS sits in my brother's bedroom, unused for about five years. RIP


Check out what Beth is feeling nostalgic about:
bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment