Friday, 10 June 2016

Real superheros don't wear capes




Your illusions of me are tainted.
I'm not perfect and would hate to be idolised. I've spent lots of time reflecting- reflecting on who I am and who I used to be. Other the past year I have met so many truly incredible people who have inspired and crafted who I am today. I can proudly say that I am my own person now. Everything I do, I do it because that's what I want to do and I've grasped a real concept of what is important to me and what really isn't. I've learnt from my mistakes and I've not been afraid to do so. I love myself more than I have ever done ever before and I've finally learnt what it is to be happy again. I went through a time where I was not happy. My thoughts, my interests and my enjoyment came simply down to one thing: materialism. I hate that I was like that but I honestly was. And now, now I'm that bit older I can look at other people being the person I was and see the way their minds are working. Money does not bring happiness. I'm sorry, but it doesn't. By the time you're 80, hopefully still going strong, you'll look back on these years of your life and wonder what you were doing wasting it on such superficial things. Go outside, read, spend time with your family. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.

So I've been making a few changes...


1. I've stopped wearing makeup

What with the amount of time it takes, the amount of money it costs, the way how it makes me feel like I'm not beautiful without it and the fact that so many brands test on animals.

2. I've started saving my money
Saving for the unexpected. Saving for a time where it'll benefit me more than it will now.

3. I've stopped writing about materialistic things
The evidence is still there, I'm not ashamed.

4. I've stopped eating meat.
Okay, I've not eaten meat for a long time now, but I'm not the best example of a vegetarian you could think of. There have been times where I've neglected this privilege. That comes to a stop right now though, let's help our planet and her animals in every way we can.

5. I'm trying to be nice to people.
I can be a complete bitch as well as one of the sweetest people you know. I think it's mostly down to my nature but people misinterpret me a lot. Less sarcasm I think.

6. I've changed my mindset.
My main ambition in life this time last year was to be a makeup artist. My intentions are absolutely NOT to disparage anybody who wants to pursue this as a career but for me, personally I have moved on. I want to help people, not do their makeup. Since early this year I have wanted to be a nurse and recently, I have considered volunteering abroad in poor countries. I'd love to see more of the world we live in- both the beautiful and the not so much. 


I know that this post has been a bit chunky for a Friday but it's something that I've been meaning to say for a long time. Next week I'll hook you up with some photos from my trip to Paris but before then, I have one more thing to say.

I hate to break this to you kids but life isn't always going to go the way you wanted it to. It'll drag you to your knees, beat you until you can't breathe and then expect you to get back up again. But get back up again you shall. You won't always have a knight in shining armor come rushing to your rescue whenever you're feeling at your lowest. Instead you'll be left to your own instinct, and trust me, your instinct will be to give up. But still you must keep on fighting, show life you know who's boss and do me a favour next time you see him- make sure to kick him in the balls. Your friends well, they're only human too. They'll disappoint you to say the least, but it's the real ones who hurt you the most. Learn to be independent- that's the hardest lesson to learn. Dance to your own rhythm and only let those join you if they can keep up. Not everybody is going to like you, in fact some may go as far to 'hate'. I'm afraid not everybody can hear the music, which is another reason to turn it up a notch. 

Embrace who you are and be who you embrace.
#I'mBatman

2 comments:

  1. Aw Marti I love this post, and it's possibly one of my favourite posts I have ever read. I love how honest you are! xx

    ReplyDelete