Friday, 30 September 2016

Smile, breathe and go slowly

"Smile, breathe and go slowly"
1926, Thich Nhat Hanh

I practise minimalism and therefore, I am a minimalist. My goal over the past year has been to rid myself of excess stuff with the intention of finding lasting happiness, becoming more grateful for what I do have and feeling content. This year has been a roller coaster that only goes up (to use a terrible metaphor) and has opened my eyes to a whole new way of life that before I could have only dreamt of. I have changed so much that it's unbelievable yet in my heart I know that these changes are an incredible thing. 

It's come to my attention that I've never actually talked at length about how these new decisions have actually shaped me as a person and helped me be at one with myself. I'm positive that makeup (or lack of) is something that I've touched on over my blog before but I thought I'd give you an update. It's been roughly a year since I've worn any kind of cover up on my skin. Lately, I have been wearing mascara every so often, purely because I'm comfortable wearing it. It doesn't give me any extra confidence, it doesn't affect the way I see myself and I don't feel like it's something that I need to wear. I've just been wearing it because I wanted a change, because I like to mix things up every now and then and because it makes me seem even more dark and sexy ahaha, jokes. 

 My skin is a canvas of blemishes and discolouration. I have very little to offer in terms of eyebrows and naturally red lips. A year or so ago, I would see all these things as imperfections. They'd be things that I felt uneasy about and wanted to cover under makeup. But do you want to know something incredible? I've come to like how red my lips are and how they make my teeth look pearly. I've come to accept my eyebrows and realised how much I hate the look of drawn on slugs. My blemishes and dark circles show people that I'm not perfect and that I'm perfectly fine with acknowledging that. The thought of covering up these imperfections (or qualities) up with an expensive beige substance that is only going to make me feel like I'm not worthy without it is not something that I wish not to participate in again.

This leads me on to money. Like material possessions, money itself is not at all a corrupt concept. It's the greed, envy, selfishness and power that comes with it for many people that is why money has ruined our society. The media is constantly telling us that we need this and that we must have that when really, we absolutely do not. Money puts barriers between social classes and can often ruin relationships. It sickens me that people can live their lives knowing that people are homeless with absolutely no money or family to help them out for whatever reason and get their dinner from supermarket waste bins while they come home to an exploding bank account and their dinner put on the table by a maid. I know how hard people strive and work for the money they have and I completely understand how important it is to some people. I just think the world we live in would be a much nicer place if we all helped each other out and nobody had to starve.


I don't have an awful lot of money. For a start, I'm fourteen and have been relying on my parents for money until I got my first job in May. I'm going to be straight and tell you that I earn £4/hour and usually work anywhere 5 and 7 hours on random Saturdays. I put all of this cash on my bank account and hope to keep this habit up for years to come. Then, when I'm old enough to have a good idea as to what I want to do with this money, and who I want to help with it, I shall take it out. Until then, I am doing my best not to touch this money and by having the motivation to do something great with this money, I'm finding it easy to  indulge rarely yet thoughtfully.

Finally, I'd like I talk about a few hobbies and new interests I have developed on my journey through minimalism. I've realised that my love for words and English can be used in aid of others. I can reach out to people all over the word and share experiences and advice whether this be via pen and paper or simply a few words published on the Internet. I have rediscovered my passion for books and enjoyed experimenting with new and exciting genres such as horror and fantasy. I have uncovered which friends are true and which aren't, whilst gaining more on the way.
I have a strong understanding of what is real, lasting happiness and what is superficial. I've discovered that I no longer need as many material possessions to be happy, nor do I need people who are getting in the way.

Useful Links:

All the pictures included in this post are of my beautiful big sister Jay. She hates them but lets show her that she's gorgeous!
Health and happiness,
Marti xx

22 comments:

  1. I have always found the concept of minimalism really interesting! I am glad that you are feeling happier now that you have discovered it xx
    http://blossomofhope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog post and I realized that I'm too much of a materialistic person. Even if I tried to clean out my closet several time to get rid of a lot of stuff I find myself still holding on most of my things. I find it hard to let go of things although I do think I am not a hoarder by any means or a huge spender. I do think that I do spend a lot more than i can afford and I admire you for being so young yet having a bigger perspective on things life material things in life and money.

    Minimalism isn't for everyone I guess but I would take a note from your book and try to be a minimalist as I can be. ^^

    Joanne at Urhappybunnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a sweet comment Joanne! It means a lot and I'm so glad that I've sparked the idea of incorporating a little minimalism in your lifestyle :)

      Delete
  3. I like this post, especially as it touches up on the subject minimalism. Personally, I find it VERY important just because it's good practice to be grateful for everything good that happens in life and also to be happy for as long as possible.

    BBB xx www.beautybeblogger.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I could not agree more xx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this! I love how you've put things in perspective & how you've cut down on make-up - it's brilliant that you stopped wearing it when it was making you unhappy! I love the photos in this post too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sweet post! I just wish I could give you a big huge hug to congratulate you, because it seems to me that you have really discovered life. I can totally relate with your passion for writing as I love to write to! I'm glad that you only do what makes you happy and don't care about what others think about you. Minimalism is a talent that only those with a strong desire can achieve, and looks like you've done it!!
    Stay strong :):)
    ~Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Autumn, this means so much! You're much too kind :) xx

      Delete
  6. I look attrocious but you are magnificent and I really admire everything you've achieved this year. You're a fantastic little lady and you're going to go so far. Take me with you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look wonderful! Thank you so much xx

      Delete
  7. I truly do admire your honesty in your blog posts, and reading them always makes me feel so calm. Just the 5 words in the title can be so relaxing to hear...loved it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a truly honest and genuine post Marti! This is one of the best posts I've read in a long long time. Loving these meaningful posts Hun!

    Lou Loves // www.louloves01.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lou! Means a lot xx

      Delete
  9. This is such an insightful and inspiring post! Also Jay is so, so pretty ♡ Lily xx

    meetmeinmelford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes, she absolutely is!

      Delete
  10. Very reflective and inspirational post. By the way, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. All details and questions are on my blog.
    PS: Your sister's very good-looking.

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're very kind :) xx

      Delete
  11. This post! You're such an intelligent and bright chick! I absolutely agree with everything and try to practise the majority of these things myself. Check out koi fresco on youtube and insta youd love him! Also jay looks sooo nice aww xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look him up xx

      Delete