Friday, 30 December 2016

A little haul

I'm still unsure as to whether I have worded the title of this post correctly... The term haul, to me, has negative connotations, many  of which I do not want to associate myself with. 

As you may have noticed, this is the first haul I have written for a very long while. The main reason for this is because it vexes me increasingly to read wishlists and pages written by people about what they have spent their money on. If I am being perfectly frank, I really don't care. I apologise if this comes across brutal or uncaring but I really don't. It's entirely your choice if you'd like to spend your (hard earned) cash on a new pair of flashy shoes or phone and if that's what you'd like to do with your money then by all means, do what makes your happy (whether your happiness is artificial or not is a whole new subject). 

Christmas is just a tricky time for lots of people. A time where lots of families feel pressure sent by consumers to make their Christmas a happy one. One filled with presents and food and warmth. When many families across the globe struggle even to get enough food to keep them alive for a week though, a 'happy Christmas' remains a silver lined fantasy. That's why it agitates me to read or write hauls and I hope that everyone reading will respect and understand that. Evidently, this is just how I see it but if writing such post makes you happy then I bid you good luck with it.

Moving on to what I intended to do originally but got side tracked with. I have discorded a new passion and interest for second hand shopping. Purchasing from charity shops means that I am still able to purchase items with my money but without the pang of guilt I receive when shopping in a retail for example.

 I have found so many benefits to shopping second hand from these hospices including the fact that all the money spent goes to charity; the prices tend to be low; it's less likely that somebody else will be wearing the same outfit as me and finally that they have a more quirky and all round less materialistic aura to them.

So finally, here are the bits and pieces that I've picked up. I'm sorry that the post had been a bit long winded but every point I have made, I strongly stick up for. 

Skirt (brand new with tags!): £4.00, St Michael's Hospice
Shoes: £5.00, St Michael's Hospice
Little Men: £1.99, Oxfam
Lolita: £1.50, Oxfam
The Odyssey: £1.99, Oxfam
 I hope you all had a very merry Christmas! 
Health and happiness,
Marti xx

22 comments:

  1. Second hand shops are brilliant things. Looking forward to the save the children sale! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I have been all year hehe :)

      Delete
  2. I love this, Marti, especially what you say at the beginning. I totally agree with you! I love those shoes! Charity shops are the best, aren't they? Xx
    bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They definitely are xx

      Delete
  3. I love op shopping! I completely agree with your points on materialism; I really dislike hauls,etc, especially around the time of christmas it makes me angry with the massive wealth gap in the world, and people viewing christmas and the holiday period as a completely consumerist driven time. I love the way you worded the beginning, and I completely agree. The books all look great, and I loveee the skirt and shoes. Op shopping has so many benefits and I loved reading this post! x
    rosiemaearoha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. your letter arrived today, I loved the envelope! I'll start writing a reply xx

      Delete
    2. I love that we have such similar views on topics like materialism and consumerism- you never fail to inspire me and motivate to stand up for what I believe in and for that I thank you infinitely <3

      Delete
    3. p.s. I can't wait to hear back from you! xx

      Delete
  4. well worded....and...great haul xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You picked up some insane bargains! I especially love that skirt - the pattern is gorgeous. I must say the retro sewing machine in the background makes a very cool blog prop! Lovely post, Lily xx

      meetmeinmelford@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! The sewing machine is my sister's :) xx

      Delete
  5. I think it's lovely to have a charity shop haul. After all, you can find the best things in there for a cheap bargain. For example those shoes you had brought at a reasonable price.
    Ps: Happy New Year!
    #sweetreats xxx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  6. I really liked this post and how honest you are on your blog. Happy New Year!
    Ranyel x
    www.nocaremoreflare.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a compliment, thank you so much! Happy new year! x

      Delete
  7. That skirt looks really nice. I totally agree with shopping at charity shops because you often find that people have bought something brand new, never worn it and have given it to a charity shop so the things you find in them are often great quality!
    Btw, enjoy Lolita... My English teacher showed us the opening of the book and it looks like a good read but also something that you would find funny just because of how ridiculous the things that happen in the book are xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to it :) xx

      Delete
  8. Hello! My name is Anael and I really love reading your blog because the topics are really interesting. I LOVE the Coraline doll, and have always had a soft spot for Coraline since it was the first ever movie I have watched at the cimema!
    I have my own blog on blogger and I have very few comments and readers as I have been on for a very short time. I was wondering if you had any spare time to check it out and comment about what you like about it and what I could work on. Thank you.
    From Anael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Of course I'll check your blog out! xx

      Delete
  9. HAHAHA, I love what you had to say about "Haul" posts, I was tempted to do a haul post...but couldn't bring myself to do it for the very reasons you shared about...and almost ended up blogging those very sentiments that you shared and that makes me laugh. It just seems so materialistic. But I love your post because bargain shopping is always fun and it adds a nice angle! :P I hope you have a wonderful new year!!!

    ~Lilly

    Theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you can relate to how I feel xx

      Delete