Friday, 2 December 2016

Don't Need No Mock Exam Blues

Hello! As I am writing this, today is Friday the second of December and blimey, this last month has seemed to both drag and fly at the same time.. It's been quite a while since I've 'word vommed' about my life over my blog so today I thought I'd do just that. 

Monday marked my first mock new spec higher maths paper which I did in the hall over two hours. The first one we did was non calculator and bearing in mind I see maths as my worst subject, I don't think I did too badly. I mean, I did quite a lot of online revision before hand but obviously didn't know what to revise for so there was a great deal of questions I bombed (google is totally going to sensor this and track me down for using the term 'bombed' aha). On Tuesday I had my geography paper which I got the marks back for today and actually did surprisingly well. Then Wednesday meant my next maths paper which was calculator was, and as far as I'm concerned, much easier. 

Finally, Thursday was celebrated with two French papers: one reading and one listening. I found both papers rather difficult but for good reason. Our teacher told us today that he wanted to give us such 'horrible' papers in order to see how we coped under the pressure. This sounds almost as berserk as when he gave us a Italian paper in a French lesson and told us not to ask any questions and just to do it. Anyways, in spite of how hard I found it, I actually did pretty well in the scheme of things which I think can be pinned down to how much revision I did.

That's why I thought I'd share some of my tips with you guys. I've actually been asked on numerous occasions what my top revision tips are but previously, I've not known how to answer. When I'm suddenly faced with so many exams in one week, my brain becomes as disorganised as Primark's isles on a Saturday. I believe that the only way you can discover how to solve your problems is to face them hands on. For me, this problem is being so mentally jumbled up. Here is how I learnt to revise in a way that suited me:
  1. My first piece of advice for people like myself is to make plenty of lists. Lists about anything and everything that pops up in your head. It's honestly, such a big help and means that instead of floating around, jumbling up inside your brain, you can organise your thoughts into neat and orderly columns. I have lists of things I want to get done in a certain day; lists of books I want to read; lists of revision I need to get done and (yep, you guessed it), lists of things to list!
  2. Secondly, after you have organised your head, organise your work space. If your revising is done online, make a folder of useful websites. For me, this includes KESH Maths, Vocab Express, BBC Bitesize, ect. If you're a flash cards and spider diagram kinda person (I much prefer this way), make sure that your desk or work area is clear and you have enough space to spread your work out on. The worst thing is when you get even more stressed because you've spilt water all over your notes (whoops!).
  3. Use lots of colours! This is the way forward for me and has resulted in my owning of an abundance of highlighters and coloured pens (the perks of working in a stationery shop!). Somehow, the act of highlighting information helps me remember it and also, when looking through a sheet of information, the bright bits are going to stand out.
  4. Last but not least, pace yourself! Give the information time to settle and take short but regular breaks. You're not doing yourself any good in cramming six non-stop hours of French revision into your Sunday morning so do your best to avoid it! In my breaks, I like to read a chapter or two of the book I'm currently reading (Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy!) or do something like have a conversation with anybody I can find aha. That's another point: don't isolate yourself! Spending so much time alone drives me crazy and means that when I do interact with somebody, I'm really snappy hehe.
That's all, my gosh, I can ramble can't I?! Let me know if you have any revision tips in the comments.

Health and happiness,
Marti xxx

P.S. Anybody who understood by Wuthering Heights reference is my new best friend ;)

16 comments:

  1. I tried the trick where you get sweets (i.e. a bag of smarties) and give yourself one every time you remember a piece of info but I failed and just ate all the sweets. ): I tried it again and ate even more. D'oh xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, definitely going to try some of these tips. I prefer to make colorful flash cards when I'm revising x
    Sakura-blush.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I make flash cards for French vocab but always end up throwing them away by mistake and needing them later on ahah xx

      Delete
  3. Flash cards are so helpful when it comes to learning French vocab! these are so helpful Marti!

    Lou Loves / https://louloves01.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revision tips: If you have a planner or organizer of any kind, utilize it! It will come in handy and definitely help heaps with anyone's workload. My second piece of advice is to stay on top of the work. If you've learnt something new one day, go home and read up on it the same day. Believe me when I say it helps with your knowledge and understanding of the topic. Besides, if you revise right, you WILL remember it!

    #sweetreats xxx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tips are great! Thanks very much for sharing xx

      Delete
  5. Urgh, revision. I hate revising but these are some really useful tips that I plan on using for sure!! I can equally sympathise with the pressure of mocks - let alone the exams! Lily xx

    meetmeinmelford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it..! Happy I can help with the tips :) xx

      Delete
  6. For me flashcards are really helpful and also if you have an exam where you have to know certain key words or it's from another language I would recommend to use Quizlet. Also colour coding helps a lot as well. I loved your tips by the way. They are really helpful and I will absolutely try them out.

    Love Adry

    http://capturedwithbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'll for sure try these tips :)

      Delete
  7. I love this post, so helpful! I always write a page of notes on a topic & get my family to test me repeatedly until I remember everything! X

    bethmay75.blogspot.co.uk
    ps- I spotted writing my letter in your list! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Tehe, thought you might ;) xx

      Delete
  8. I loved this post, it had so many helpful tips :) I like using lots of colour in my study notes, and I'm also a flash card person haha.

    I especially liked your tip about making lists for everything - I make lots of lists, but usually only for homework and "to do's", but making them for books and all that might actually come in handy!!

    My top tip would probably be to save all your flashcards for end of year exams, so you don't have to remake them later :)

    ~Iris
    http://getupandoutblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much- I'll try remember that one ;)

    ReplyDelete