Friday, 3 February 2017

So, what really goes into snail mail?


Snail mail (noun informal)
the ordinary postal system as opposed to email.


Life is full of many small pleasures like books and chocolate and cake... Another which is often overlooked is the art of writing and receiving letters! I know it makes me sound about eighty and that I should probably put my knitting away, but I believe that you cannot beat the clatter of a letterbox and the beauty of a handwritten note. Even the mere feeling of knowing that somebody out there has taken the time to think of me thrills me with joy. It fascinates me to look at the stamps on an envelope and to know how far it has come before landing in my hands.

And I'm not the only person who feels this way believe it or not. I write to five wonderful ladies from all around the globe, including New Zealand and the Philippines! These women have had huge influences on my life and for that I thank them all very much!

 Beth and I have been pen palling for over a year and therefore decided it would be fun to write a post on the subject from both perspectives. You can check her post out here!
For me, letters must include something exciting. Whether that be some butterfly doodles, glitter, Polaroids or even pressed flowers, this step is a must!

Here are some things you could try including in your next letter to spruce it up!:

 The business card of a company you want to support
♥ Bookmarks
♥ A photocopy of a drawing you were proud of
♥ An article in a magazine you think they'll love
♥ Local currency (check guidelines at your post office)
♥ A spritz of your favourite perfume 




Another thing I always keep in mind when writing is to not be afraid of rambling! If the receiver doesn't know what you've had for breakfast every day that week you're doing it wrong (kidding- but you get the point!). Say what you feel and ask lots of questions. There is not right or wrong way to snail mail and remember to always have fun!

Health and happiness,

Marti xxx

16 comments:

  1. Marti, I love this. Being your penpal has honestly been such a lovely part of the past year or so - thank you so much, your letters always make me smile! Also this post is so lovely & the photos are gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree! Here's to many future collabs x

      Delete
  2. Another lovely blog post. Don't forget about sealing your letters ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes of course! Future post for sure xx

      Delete
  3. I love these ideas! They're really different xxx

    Lou Loves / www.louloves01.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lou! You're so kind xx

      Delete
  4. I would have loved to have had a penal! I love the thought of sending handwritten letters it's a lovely gesture of friendship to have a letter which will have taken considerably more time and effort to write than an email xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came from Beth May's side of the collaboration and I believe this is a FANTASTIC idea of two bloggers with different blogging styles, writing to one another. I'm definitely going to look into letter-writing with my close blogging friend and find out whether she's up to it.

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'd definitely recommend it xx

      Delete
  6. I loved reading this post and Beth's one because I take part in penpalling too! There's some great ideas here that I'll be sure to give a try! I've got a flower press that I should make more use of-thanks for reminding me with your post. :D

    megansmegablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I think it's great that you snail mail too! xx

      Delete
  7. Hi there, I cam across your blog and throughly enjoy what I see.. Keep it up! It would be great if we could support each other. I just started my own blog if you would like to check it out:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks so much for the lovely comment and yes, for sure I will check out your blog x

      Delete
  8. This is the sweetest idea, and you're so right, it feels so much more whole hearted. I just love it :) xox

    awaywiththefairiesblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete