Friday, 7 April 2017

No Smartphone? No Problem!

'Did you see Shannon's recent snapchat story?'
'Have I shown you what Lewis sent me last night?'
'Oh my gosh, you must have seen what Max posted on his Instagram!'

It's gotten to a point where I'm so confused that people still ask me these kinds of questions. I am proud to say that I do not own a smartphone and take pleasure in knowing absolutely nothing about everything as far as gossip is concerned. Granted, I do like to have the occasional Facebook stalk to see what people I was friends with five years ago are up to (guilty as charged!) but I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to who did what on social media.

I used to have an iPhone before I downgraded to something my friends won't even let me call a brick. Apparently bricks are heavy, so my phone is more of a tile. Charming! Ditching the smartphone has also resulted my abandoning the use of the majority of my social media accounts which seems to have upset my friends more than it has upset me. I love the fact that I can go out somewhere with my friends or with my family and not be interrupted by a text message. I also love the fact that I am not too easy to get hold of and people can't just message me for the sake of it. I realise that that sounds absolutely awful, but please hear me out...

When I used apps like Facebook Messenger on my phone, people from my school (who may I add, would never have the guts to speak to me in person) would start messaging me none stop. I think that this is absolutely ridiculous. What's the point in being friends with somebody when they can't even look you in the eye outside of the internet?

Social media has made life all to convenient for people. I understand that there is a great list of advantages to using it (for one, it has allowed me to publish this post!) but far too many people are hiding behind it.

That's just one of the reasons why I'm happy to not have a smartphone. None of my friends agree with my reasonings but I hope somebody reading this might. I don't need to know what's going on in other people's lives to be happy. I don't need to update my Facebook status every two minutes to be happy. I definitely don't need to know how long it will take me to walk from A to B and which is my best route to be happy. 

It'd be interesting to hear some different views on the topic. Do you have a smartphone? Would you ever consider ditching it?

Health and happiness,
Marti xxx

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I took a break from social media for about 3 months to help with anxiety and it really worked! I've made new accounts and have been using them only for my personal happiness and the people who i genuinely know and who make me happy. Love this post Marti xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Roise! I love how we're always on the same page with this kind of thing haha! xx

      Delete
  2. I totally understand what you are saying. Do you not remember when I had a brick a couple of years ago? I genuinely enjoyed playing Sudoku which was the only game I had on it! And you've got to admit that my mum uses social media enough for the both of us combined! But I totally agree with the part about messaging people who you probably wouldn't recognize outside your conversation on Facebook or Instagram, I may have done that on a few occasions :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Leah! Yes, I certainly remember that, and I'm happy we feel the same way. Your mum does make me chuckle sometimes with her Facebook updates! aha :)

      Delete
  3. All very true. It's sad that we have all become dependant on virtual realities, connections and identities. I wonder what would happen if everyone in the world ditched their smart phones! I think the internet is really powerful and useful for businesses, creativity, networking, but I do think that social media can be damaging and just generally wastes time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's a very interesting thought...

      Delete